Traditional Sponge Cake
4 Eggs, separated
5 oz Caster Sugar
3 oz Cornflour
½ oz Plain Flour
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
½ tsp Bicarb Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste, plus extra
600ml Thickened Cream
2 tbsp Icing Sugar
1. Preheat your Ariston oven to 160 degrees, Fan Forced function.
2. Whip egg whites until foamy then add in caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and continue to mix until stiff and glossy (rub a small amount of the mixture between your thumb and finger and when you can no longer feel granules of sugar, you know your egg whites are done). While mixing, further add your egg yolks one at a time.
3. Sieve your flours and rising agents FIVE times (this is important for maximum aeration and a light, fluffy cake). Add this to your egg mixture, along with vanilla bean paste, and fold until combined.
4. Pour mixture into a greased and baking paper-lined spring form tin. Drop your cake tin on the bench top a couple of times to evenly distribute the cake mix.
5. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Once cooked, leave your oven door ajar until cooled completely.
6. Whip cream, icing sugar and an extra teaspoon of vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread across sponge cake and dot with raspberries.